Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sirens of Titan

My husband got me to finally read Sirens of Titan. I think my eleventh grade English teacher convinced me that I hated Vonnegut when we read Slaughterhouse Five. (She also managed to ruin The Great Gatsby by telling us all to pay close attention to colors and who is riding in what car at any given time. Turned a great American novel into paint-by-numbers.) So it took my husband a while to make me see that Sirens is exactly my kind of book: literary, fantastical, with amazing characters. I'm about 100 pages in and swimming.

I also came to the Harry Potter series rather late in the game. Back in college, I was too pretentious to read what everyone else was reading. Let alone a children's book. Thankfully I've grown up enough to realize that some of my favorite authors write YA and sometimes everyone is reading "it" for a reason.

So, tell me a bit about a beloved book that you discovered late. What held you back? How did you finally give in?

No comments:

Post a Comment