Friday, May 7, 2010

I am not this melodramatic

On Tuesday night, I went to bed with a lead weight twisting in my stomach. When I woke Wednesday, it was still there -- heavy and churning before I was even awake enough to remember why.

Oh right, that's why.

I posted something I'd written on a forum. Random member #47 tore it to shreds. Shreds. Not just my writing. The story. Told me I was a mid-American housewife with pathetically typical fantasies. Cue all cliches about being punched in the gut.

By Wednesday night, I regained some composure and perspective. Maybe #47 is right and I can't write for shit. Or maybe she's just not into what I write. Or maybe the synopsis I posted is not representative of the novel. I don't know which is true. But the only way I can move forward is to assume that the first "maybe" is false.

Where to from here?

Going back through the novel. I'm doing a word-choice edit. Looking to pair down the number and make sure I don't get repetitive. It's soothing. The process also reminded me of something important: I like my story. The only reason I'm doing this is because I like my story.

After I get through this current round of edits, I will give it to beta reader J. While she has it, I will start that synopsis from scratch. After all, I still have that one good eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment