Thursday, July 29, 2010

I can admit when I'm wrong

About 20 pages after I wrote my last blog entry, A Spot of Bother got much better. First a scene so graphic I nearly vomited on the subway. (Not enjoyable to read but a lot more stimulating than the book had been previously.) Then, I started to care about at least two of the four characters. And as their individual plots began to overlap more and the pace of the book quickened, I began to care more about the story as well.

I still would get rid of one character completely. Sure, he's the lynch pin. But I still don't care about him.

And I still feel like I am gaining momentum as much by the prospect of almost being done as by the decreased apathy.

This book has plot. It is well written. It's characters are relatable. It still doesn't click for me but I am really beginning to feel that that's just me.

In any case, just pages away from my next read: Ann Patchett's Bel Canto.

No comments:

Post a Comment