Saturday, July 3, 2010

homework from the beta reader

I met with my trusted beta reader, J, today. We had yummy summery salads and even yummier hibiscus mint iced teas. But more imortantly, we talked FLIGHT. It's come quite a way since last she rad it, becoming something I am proud of. But there is more work to do.

And I suppose it says something good that work to do has me all excited. Itching to roll up my sleeves.

There's editing to be done, for sure. Bless J and her ability to sniff out a misused homonym or awkward turn of phrase. But there is more exciting work to be done.

Reading: she gave me a reading assignment. I play with POV in the ms and she recommended an author who does so similarly. I didn't intentionally set out to write with a fluid POV; it just served the story. Now I have to be very careful to sharpen my transitions between characters' perspectives so I don't lose readers. I'm excited to read this assigned book (though the plot sounds like nothing I'd want to read) to see how he does it.

But more exciting than reading and editing by far... writing. We talked through the scenes that are missing, that will let me show and not tell. That will deepen characters' relationships or make the structure more even. I'm thrilled. I can't wait to spend more time with these character and to see how they behave in new situations.

Back to work and couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment