Wednesday, October 6, 2010

put a fork in it

Huh.  I think I finished FLIGHT.  This is weird.

Thirteen months after I began writing the first scenes--eleven of which have been spent on editing--I think I am ready to begin querying agents.  I've gotten the incredible input of 3.5 beta readers (I'll let you speculate about what that .5 means) and now feel like I've gotten it to a high plateau.

I've written my query letter template and have research agents, even begun personalizing the queries to them.  The synopsis, much as it makes me cringe, is as close to uncringeworthy as it might ever be.

So, what is stopping me from querying?

I'm petrified.  Literally paralyzed with fear.

Is FLIGHT really done?  It's not the grand work that it is in my head.  But according to this elegant article by Michael Cunningham, that is to be expected.  I'm happy with FLIGHT.  I like what I have done with it.  It is imperfect but it is my offering.  (Three points to whoever picks up on that reference.)  But am I querying to early?  Is FLIGHT really finished?  Is the query the best it can be?  The synopsis?  All I can say is that I am happy with what they are.

I am sincerely hoping that by this time next week I will have worked past the nausea sufficiently to start putting it out there.

Keep breathing.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Sending out queries of my own by Friday if I can slog through a synopsis (or skip it, I'm undecided).....READY SET SEND!!!

    Come on, go buy a fancy tin of Godiva, eat the whole damn thing, and when rejection e-mails come in you'll have a place to put them. Be prepared for the worst and know that the acceptance is out there.

    Finishing one novel is a HUGE accomplishment. FLIGHT is an amazing book, A. Be proud of it.

    ReplyDelete