Thursday, September 9, 2010

beta learning

While letting FLIGHT sit with two beta readers, I am taking on a new role... acting as beta for another writer.  I have done this in the past for short pieces written friends, but never a full length MS.  Though the story is fun to read, I am also feeling the responsibility of a beta.  And I am learning a lot as a writer.

It is not often that I get to see works in progress.  It feels a lot like seeing an open body.  I am fortunate enough to have a clearer view of how the muscles and tendons and bones and circulatory system all work.  (A view that allows me to reflect on my own body.)  It is a tremendous learning experience and rather humbling.  It is also incredibly personal.  I've never had to wonder what my bedside manner is like and now I will have to see.

I am currently making my way through a first read.  I want to get a sense of the book as I would if I were a casual reader.  Then, I will go back through and make notes.  Still, even as a casual reader, I have noticed a few aspects of the writing that I really like.  But more difficult to deal with, I see a major problem in the plot.  A huge problem.  As I read, I am chewing over how best to present this criticism to the writer.

Of course, I plan on using Nathan Bransford's sandwich style for critiquing -- positive, negative, positive.  But beyond that?

1 comment:

  1. Be honest, because she's a big girl and she can handle it. Also wait until the end, because the plot itself may surprise you.

    As a beta, I think you have to tell the truth but realize that your vision won't always mesh with the author's. However, if there is an issue, truth is best naked. PERSONALLY, I don't like things sugar coated.

    If she is a talented writer, even the worst problem can be solved.

    ReplyDelete